Choir, Bible Study, Food, and Fellowship for Everyone!
Fall 2021 – September through November
Spring 2022 – January through March
Presbyterian Church of the Cross
1517 South 114th Street
Omaha, NE 68144
Please register with payment by September 1. Use the Register Now and Pay Now buttons below to complete your registration. Or, you can give your payment to Heather in the church office.
2021 Cornerstone Fall Schedule
We’re excited for the return of Cornerstone this fall! This Wednesday night program is for all ages and features a variety of activities including classes, music, games, and dinner will help participants to build strong ties with God and one another. This is a wonderful opportunity to have a “sit down” dinner with family and friends, and the food is always delicious. Childcare is provided for parents or grandparents who are attending an adult class or music program after dinner.
- Fall semester is September 15 – November 17.
- Spring semester is January 12 – March 16.
Cornerstone is run solely on volunteers, and it takes everyone’s help to make it run smoothly. That means you may miss part of choir or part of a class to volunteer, but that is what is necessary. Thank you! We ask all adults to volunteer to set up, serve dinner or clean up at least 5 times. Please sign up for your five slots on the registration form.
Without the protection of vaccination yet, our kids/youth remain vulnerable to COVID. Our Safety Committee recently made the following recommendations that were approved by the Session. For all Sunday School, Cornerstone, and Youth activities, participants must wear a mask indoors for all activities when interacting with kids/youth. This will include wearing a mask at Cornerstone meals until you are seated at your table. For outdoor activities, masks are not required.
September 15 – November 17
Choir and Bible study schedules are provided below. Dinner is served between 6:00 – 6:40 PM in Fellowship Hall. You can find the full menu at the bottom of the page.
Child Care is provided from 5:30 – 8:15 for choir members and adult education class participants
- 5:30 – 6:15 PM Sunbeam Choir for K – 3rd graders (Haley Allen-Mendick, Director) – Room 2
- 5:30 – 6:15 PM Carol Choir for 4th – 7th graders (Taylor Morris, Director) – Choir Room
- 5:30 – 6:25 PM Chamber Singers rehearsal in the Sanctuary
- 6:50 – 8:15 PM Alleluia Choir rehearsal in the Choir Room
- 5:30 – 6:00 PM 3 & 4 year olds Room 7
- 6:45 – 7:30 PM K – 2nd graders Room 1
- 6:45 – 7:30 PM 3rd – 5th graders Room 3
- 6:45 – 7:30 PM 6th & 7th graders Room 11
- 6:30 – 7:30 PM Confirmation Class Room 14
- 6:30 PM Adult Education Class Room 13
In the Event of Bad Weather
- A decision will be made by 10:00 a.m. on Wednesday
- Cornerstone staff will be contacted
- A notice will be added to our PCOC Web Site
- TV and Radio stations will be called
- An all church email will be sent
- PCOC Facebook page updated
Registration & Fees
Please register and pay by September 1. The program fee covers dinner and class materials. Click the Pay Now button on this page to make an online payment, or give your payment to Heather in the church office. Checks should be made to Presbyterian Church of the Cross.
Family Pricing Program fee per semester is:
- 1 person – $45.00
- 2 people – $80.00
- 3 people – $115.00
- 4 people – $150.00
- 5 or more people – $175.00
Cornerstone Classes for Kids
This group of 3 and 4 year olds explore Bible lessons that will help them learn more about God’s love, and help them in their everyday lives. They will be using the “Whirl” lectionary based curriculum. It provides a fun and age-appropriate way for kids to experience the church seasons and scripture verses. This class is taught by Madelyn Grady, Anna Flairty, and Piper Smith.
Kindergarten – 2nd Grade
The class will be using the “Whirl” lectionary based curriculum that provides the kids have a fun way to experience the Revised Common Lectionary. Through exploring the church seasons and diving into the lectionary each week, the kids begin to understand the three-year cycle of Bible readings and rhythms of the church year. This class is taught by Sue Thomas.
3rd – 5th Grade
This group will also be using the “Whirl” curriculum, lectionary-based materials that include weekly Bible lessons, and a DVD with animated characters that introduced the lesson each week. They address deep theological concepts with creative, light-hearted wit and will leave the kids wanting to watch the videos again and again. This class is taught by Brian and Gayle Hoybook.
Cornerstone Classes for Youth
6th – 7th Grade
The class will be using the Whirl curriculum specifically designed for younger teens. It’s a Revised Common Lectionary based curriculum that includes weekly Bible lessons, and a DVD that introduces the lesson each week. The class is taught by Lisa Luke.
8th Grade Confirmation Class
A Confirmation Class is held on Wednesday nights from 6:30-7:30 p.m. in the Library. The class is taught by Associate Pastor Christine Dempsey. Eighth graders will be given formal instruction on the Presbyterian beliefs, the scriptures and worship as they seek to re-affirm their baptism and seek membership in the church.
Cornerstone Classes for Adults
For fall 2021, we have two different adult learning opportunities during Cornerstone.
- Our traditional adult class is called “Sacred Spaces,” and it will be led by Lloyd and Charlene Meyer and Tim and Brenda Graumann. Long before Christianity, people gathered to look for and worship their gods. These places became sacred to them. This class will look at some of these places. We will discuss why the places were located where they were, take a field trip or two (if possible) and talk about what made them important. Please join us this fall to learn more about these places.
- We’re also offering an opportunity to expand our hearts and minds through dinner conversations at Cornerstone. ”What’s Cookin’?” is a great opportunity for open-ended, ongoing conversations about social justice issues. What are we experiencing in our lives? What do we question? What new perspectives would help us understand this broad topic? Look for the “What’s Cookin’?” signs on a table or two at Cornerstone dinners, and pull up a chair! A new season for our church is exciting! Watch for other opportunities to grow in our calling as Christians – to share agape love with one another. Here is one definition of agape love – Agape Love is unconditional, sacrificial love that God showed and continues to show to us, and one that God expects us to imitate and share with the rest of the world.
Fall 2021 Dinner Menu
15 – Pres Men
Hamburgers and Hotdogs
Garden vegetable salad
Rice Krispy treats
22 – Fiesta Night
Mexican inspired salad
Beef and chicken tacos
Mexican pasta salad
Elote (Mexican street corn) salad
Mexican fruit salad
Sopapilla cheesecake bars
29 – Asian Inspired
Asian inspired salad
Vegetable lo mein
Steamed jasmine rice
Gyoza and egg rolls
Asian style donuts
6 – Comfort food
Sloppy Joe on a bun
Macaroni and cheese
Texas sheet cake
13 – Italian Night
Buttery Italian green beans
Italian chocolate cake
20 – All American Dinner
Strawberry orange salad
Mashed potatoes and gravy
Ooey gooey butter bars
27 – Fright Night Foods
Frightful relish trays with moldy dip
Spiderweb layer bean dip
Mummy dogs or broken fingers
Baked bat wings
Worms in the garden
3 – Winner Winner Chicken Dinner
Roasted butternut squash salad
Stuffed chicken breast
Raspberry streusel bars
10 – Chilly Night Delights
17 – Harvest Dinner
Creamed turkey and mashed potatoes