HABITAT FOR HUMANITY
Building & Landscaping to Provide Housing for the Community
Yes! Volunteer opportunities include helping with contruction, sorting donations, preparing lunches, and helping at the offices or with lot maintenance.
Faith House Build Day – June 3, 2023
Habitat for Humanity is a nonprofit, ecumenical, Christian ministry founded on the conviction that every man, woman and child should have a decent, safe, and affordable place to live. Habitat for Humanity of Omaha (HFHO) was established in 1984, taking two years to build their first house that year. Today, with the support of volunteers and donors, HFHO has grown to serve a large portion of north and south Omaha as well as Waterloo and Washington County. In 2013 HFHO built or renovated over forty homes and in 2014 it is set to complete over fifty. With planned building, neighborhood revitalization programs, and a Roof and Repair program, HFHO is seeking to transform neighborhoods and build community through homeownership.
Facts about HFHO:
- Homes are not given away; low income families purchase the home with 0% interest and their mortgage payments are put into a revolving fund to help build future homes
- Habitat homeowners must complete 350 Sweat Equity hours prior to purchasing their homes. These hours include construction of their home and other Habitat houses, financial planning and budgeting classes, and courses on maintaining a home.
- HFHO serves those families whose income is 20-50% of the median income in Omaha and whose current housing is deemed unsafe, unsanitary, or unsuitable.
Presbyterian Church of the Cross is a member of one of HFHO’s six faith coalitions; the Interfaith Coalition. The Interfaith Coalition is made up of 9 churches who collaborate to provide the funding and volunteers to construct a new house each year.
Don’t feel comfortable with construction? Here are some non-construction volunteer opportunities:
- Volunteer at one of HFHO’s two ReStores sorting through incoming donations and stocking shelves
- Help prepare a lunch for the volunteer coalition builders
- Volunteer at HFHO’s offices or with help with lot maintenance
There are also international opportunities to build with Habitat in Macedonia and Nepal in 2014 through HFHO’s Global Village trips.